Old September 10th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default A gaggle of questions about traning from an old geezer...

Bob Moore wrote:
Mitty wrote
If your instructor won't train you in IMC, you need a different
instructor.

Mitty, During my 20,000+ hours of flying, I have been a Navy
squadron level Instrument Instructor (P-2V/P-3B), an airline
Flight/Instrument Instructor for 5 years (B-707/B-727) and have
been an FAA Flight Instructor, Instrument-Airplane for the past
37 years. I don't train in IMC!

I've got one tenth of your experience so take my point of view from that: I
think doing some actual with a student shortly before he's cut loose is a
tremendous confidence builder. My instructor did it and I remember how much
easier it seemed compared to under the hood. I'm not really sure why that
was... maybe greater periperal vision. It also was REAL.

Of course, we had a nice stratiform day with 500 foot ceilings. To this day I
still enjoy flying in those conditions. And I've flown every hour without a
crew and most of them without an operating autopilot.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com