Old September 22nd 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Suppose I wanted to fly to Angola...

es330td wrote in news:264071cb-c9ee-4b12-b6bd-
:

On Sep 22, 4:53*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
es330td wrote in news:bf911c1f-f7ad-4132-a9e9-
:

I was talking recently with someone who said that their company

needs
to send a few (5-6) people to do some work in Angola from Atlanta

and
complained about the difficulty of flying there commercially. *This
made me curious about what it would take to do this in a private

jet.
I asked my CFII this question (he is type rated for the Citation I)
and his answer was "Not in this Citation; it doesn't have the

range."
He did say that a friend delivered a Citation I to South Africa

solo
but it took him three days to get there. He's never personally

flown
to Africa so while he said he'd look into it I thought I'd ask here

as
someone might actually know.

I am going to assume that there is some sweet spot on the range-

speed-
time-cost considerations based upon whatever the longest leg would
have to be for various routes and the cost/time involved with

stopping
to refuel but I don't know much about this kind of aircraft,

certainly
not enough to plan a trip.

I've never thought much about international flight so I am very
curious to see the suggestions for a flight like this.

not sure what you're asking here.

What kind of bizjet can do it?
Most could do it with a stop or tow and some could do it direct...

Bertie- Hide quoted text -

I'm trying to understand what reasonable options might be available.
For example, a Citation I might be more fuel efficient than a Citation
III but the III with the longer range can take routes that the I
cannot because of the need to cross the Atlantic. Obviously if price
was no object then a plane with 6,000 miles of range like a G-550
would be great but that is a very expensive plane as opposed to the
Citation III that is only expensive in comparison.

I guess I could back out a little and ask the question "What routes
could one take to fly to Angola from Atlanta, GA?" and then determine
on my own what planes could cover the longest single leg on that

route.

You could do it a number of ways, but it shouldn't be all hat hard to
get there. There's a number of airline routes through new york and
london in particular. Flying a bizjet there is fraught with difficulties
and is not for the faint of heart or people inexperienced with flying in
that part of the world. Flying a Short range jet like a Citation 1 or
Corvette or similar would probably be more expensive than going in
something that could do it in two hops..

Bertie