Old October 5th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Looking for a spreadsheet on seaplane design

wrote in message
On Oct 2, 7:27 am, brian whatcott wrote:

Can you look up the name, even better the location, of the person who
referred to this spreadsheet?

All I know about it is in that issue of SA. The author's name on the
article is Neal Willford. The spreadsheet is on the EAA website, and
I''m not a member.

Thanks.

It sorta sounds like you can get the basic spreadsheet and much, much more
for about 40 bucks.

I'm really not just saying that to be a wise guy, or just to push the
membership, and certainly not to get off on some tangent about copyrights.
What really makes it worth the money is that much more. The reason is that
the basic spreadsheet may be awesome, or not worth the paper that you print
it on and, thanks to my own advanced lack of basic knowledge, I couldn't
tell you if I remembered the darned thing.

However, if you even need to ask and you intend to design or even evaluate a
possible purchase, I predict that you will need the additional information
more than the spreadsheed.

Just as one simple example, the shape of the hull and/or floats is generally
asserted to be a major factor in the amount of power needed to get on the
step and airborn, and also in the partially conflicting issues of the water
conditions which might be acceptable...

Peter
(I have a couple of rules of thumb, but no personal experience)