Old May 5th 18, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Attitudes & Reality

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 7:21:37 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Folks like Gregg cracks me up with their cluelessness.. to prove his false point he keeps posting a video which is case in point of why see and avoid does not work. indeed most folks will miss the gorilla since we can’t trust our eyes. It was part of the presentation the flarm folks were giving at a time. And then he gives example of those cases when gear alarms were ignored. I heard of such cases. For each example of ignored gear alarm there are countless of examples were gear alarm saved a gear up landings.
I bet he drives without seat belts since there are documented cases of fatalities due to seat belts.

Ramy

Indeed clueless beyond belief. And yes the exact video that the FLARM founders used to use to make their point. Urs used it at safety seminars in the USA. The research project that started FLARM looked at visual perception, and wether glider marking etc. could help there. They ended up doing the collision avoidance radio technology path exactly because because the human eyeball and brain don't work so well for this and benefit greatly for assistance.