Old September 16th 04, 07:43 PM
muzz

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:27:38 GMT, "David Banahan"
wrote:

Dave - I quit flying about 25 years ago when my kids started college
and the finances were getting tight. I bought a copy of Flight Sim
years ago and have enjoyed flying in the 'virtual flying world'.
I joined Vatsim which simulates real ATC pretty well. I was an
instrument pilot so especially enjoyed setting the weather to 300 and
1 and practicing instrument approaches. After several years of this,
I decided to attempt to pass the flight physical and start back to
flying for real again. I passed the physical, went to a flight school
(actually a couple before I found one I liked), and re-qualified. It
took me 4 hours dual before the instructor would sign me off, but
it was enjoyable all the way, I needed the training. I have since
bought into a partnership in a Cessna 182 and have greatly enjoyed
flying for the past couple of years.

There are many slurs against flight sim, but I found the practice to
be of great help. Of course you don't have the feel, which is very
important, but it is very good for practicing instrument flying if you
do it honestly. If I were you, I would buy a copy of the FAR/AIM,
study it for a week or so, then make an appointment with a cfi and
go try it out. In the meantime, learn how to fly the flight sim
program the realistic way and enjoy the experience.

When I was young I got my license the week I turned 18. I left flying when
I left my first wife. I would like to resume flying, but want to focus on
IFR simulation (most cost effective) at home training before beginning
actual fligh ttraining.Anyadvicewouldbeappreciatedtohelpmedevel op
a cost effective way to re-learn to fly. Thanks David