Old December 14th 09, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jimboffin

Default Stretching the Final Glide

On 11 Dec, 21:09, jeplane wrote:
This guy is an idiot.

It's far from showing an example. He is cutting it way too close to
the trees toward the end of the video, as well as only 50 feet
perhaps, above a power line like Tony mentions.

I would be ****ed if I saw anyone doing that at my local airport!....:-
(

Richard
Phoenix, AZ

Looked like a pretty well judged final glide to me. He had enough
height to put in a 30 degree banked turn prior to landing and
sufficient energy remaining to do a very long ground run to the glider
rigging area. I'll bet if we could see his asi we would see that he
deliberately put it low to increase glide performance over the last
field.

I believe that ground effect final glides of up to 5km have been used
at Nitra in previous contests.

Jim