Old April 16th 04, 07:42 PM
303pilot

"John H. Campbell" wrote in message
...but isn't it embarrassing how feebly we have tackled the
fourth, the easiest one to address? [Elitism]

Review Wander's "GrowBook",
http://acro.harvard.edu/SOARING/books/growbook.htm . Let's make soaring
friendlier, less private, less mysterious.

I'm a bit confused by this "elitism" sub-thread.

Seven years ago when I first wandered onto the field, I saw the sleek glass
ships grid and I wanted to fly one.

I started training in the 2-33, solo'ed, and struggled to stay aloft for my
alotted hour. I saw the glass owners drive up, assemble and fly off. Only
on my duty days or if I hung around till the end of the day did I see their
high speed returns. I wasn't resentful of them, I was inspired. I wanted
to do that too. They were what we marketing types call 'my aspirant group'.
When I had enough training and experience to ask an intelligent question, I
found that they were very approachable folks and were eager to share what
they knew.

I bought a PW-5 with several partners and learned to stay up and to go
places.

I bought a 303 with a partner and go farther and faster.

Maybe some day I'll have a '28 or a Diana or a Duo to fly with my daughter
when she grows up a bit.

The reason I'm writing this is that the other week I was thinking that to
some extent, I've become one of those guys I aspired to be (humble
disclaimer: I'm well over #400 in the pilots ranking; I'm not a highly
experienced xc pilot or top of the leader board racer). But these days I do
drive up, assemble and fly off. I fly home late in the day. I put my ship
back in her box and drive home. Have I become an elitist? I don't think
so.

It isn't that I've become less friendly, more private and more mysterious.
It is that actual flying takes up more of my time around the club. Like
those who passed wisdom on to me, I'm happy to pass along what I know.

You've just got to catch me early or late.

Brent