Old April 18th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Alon Aircoupe / Ercoupe advise wanted

"dae" == daedalusnj writes:

dae For the sake of discussion assume I am looking at a 1966 or
dae 1967 Alon Aircoupe, all metal with C-90 engine. A bit of web
dae research has turned up some onerous Service Bulletins and
dae Airworthiness Directives that concern me. The ones that are
dae making me shy away a SB-32 - Wing center section
dae ultrasonic inspection AD2002-26-02 & SB-31 - Center section
dae corrosion and inspection panels SB-29-C - Outer wing panel
dae removal and inspection panel installation SB-18 - Center
dae section Belly skin (may not apply but no date on SB)
From what I can determine all were published from 1999 to
2006. There

dae may also be more out there that I have not found on a web
dae search.

For all except SB-32, they almost certainly will have been complied
with, so you don't have to do any more work on the plane. Of course
you still need to inspect for corrosion every year or 3 years, but
pulling the wings is easy (the plane still sits on its landing gear)
or the owner may have cut inspection holes.

If one or more ADs haven't been complied, don't even consider the
airplane. The owner has been careless and you don't want that
airplane. Even if you did do them yourself, cutting holes in the wing
is not a demanding, expensive job.

As for SB-32, I doubt many owners will follow through. It is not
mandatory for flight under FAR part 91. I'm certainly going to wait
to see what others are finding before spending the money and time to
do it. It is the most expensive of the lot, with a questionable
marginal benefit.

dae PS: I know I used both "Ercoupe" and "Aircoupe" throughout.
dae Trying to grab a bigger bite of web searchers!

They are both correct. Ercoupe is used for the 415 models, and
Aircoupe for the Alon model.

I bought my Alon almost 5 years ago and have no regrets. A simple,
fun airplane, and my annuals are now $1000 max. I take off the panels
and let the mechanic do most of the other work. There are always some
things to fix, after all these are 40 year old airplanes, but nothing
really expensive.

There are not many Alons out there, as you probably know, so be
patient and keep looking. As another poster said, join the Ercoupe
email list and owners club and get the word out. I just helped a
friend fly his Alon purchase from Texas to California and he got a
good one. Look at the Ercoupe 415 models also just to develop a feel
for what to look for.