Old March 16th 04, 04:16 AM
Jim Knoyle

"Art67" wrote in message
Thanks for your response. I will inquire with someone at the Palo Alto
airport. I think that is where the noisy planes are from, though I'm sure
it won't do me any good.

By the way, if anyone reading this group uses the Palo Alto airport, has
the flight path changed recently?

Interesting...
I don't fly but on a run past the PA airfield a couple days ago
I couldn't help but notice a sign or two requesting that fliers
hold the noise down out of respect for neighbors. There is
at least some attempt to solve the problem.
JK (who doesn't mind the noise)

David Cartwright wrote:
"Art67" wrote in message
Every weekend there seems to be more private planes flying around. Last
Sunday, for example, as i tried to enjoy a quiet afternoon, every 5
minutes or so, a plane would be buzzing outside. The noise is so loud,
even the noise is louder than my TV or stereo. It's like a giant leaf
blower flying over my place every 5 minutes. I have a new roof, double
pane windows, so it's not a problem with my dwelling.
Who can I complain to, or will I have to get use to ear plugs in my

ears.

I suspect other respondents will take the "damned NIMBYs" line, so I'll

try
a more reasoned response :-)

The usual starting place is your local authority, though you could try
calling the local airport. If they're to investigate the matter

sensibly,
you'll need to provide them with the registration markings of the

aircraft
that are disturbing you (and if they're close enough to be a real

nuisance,
they'll be close enough for you to read the registration letters).

To be honest, though, it strikes me as odd that you're finding private
aircraft disturbing to this extent. I live directly under the southern
circuit path (left-hand circuits on RW27, right-hand on RW09) of Norwich
Airport, and so I get a fair number of light aircraft pottering overhead

at
1,000 feet (the standard height for circuits at Norwich). The noise is
certainly not louder than the TV, even with the windows open, and even

if
you're sitting in the garden in the summer with a beer and a butty, you

can
happily carry on a conversation. (In fact when I was a student I used to
live in what used to be the airmen's residences, which are physically
attached to the airport!).

Sounds like something's a bit amiss at your place. Perhaps the circuit
height is a bit lower, or you're unfortunate enough to be in line with

the
runway centreline and you're getting the aircraft landing or taking off.

If
the latter, have a word with the airport about their noise abatement
procedures. Where there are residential areas in line with the runway,

many
airfields (e.g. Old Buckenham, just down the road from here) dictate

that
pilots should adopt a climb-out heading that avoids civilisation, partly

for
noise abatement and partly for safety (if you're heading away from the
houses, you stand a better chance of finding somewhere to dump it should
your engine quit). Although the same is rarely true for landing aircraft
(landing's tricky enough for the average pilot without making them do

wonky
approaches) one finds that the disturbance is less because they've got

the
throttle back to half-power or less during the approach.

But I would urge you to talk to the airport, and even go see the

manager,
because nine times out of ten something can be done as a result of

reasoned
discussion. It may, after all, be that some pilots are flying lower than
they should, in which case the airport can take steps to warn the
offenders - or it may be that the airport could consider adding some

noise
abatement recommendations. Also bear in mind that the airport

authorities
will listen more intently if a number of people go to them than if it's

just
one lonesome person - but if a number of you have a problem, make sure

you
act reasonably and don't just head off on a rant, as that'll do nobody

any
good.

Hope this helps,

D.