Old July 19th 03, 12:25 AM
BTIZ

they have modified the proposal on the DG1000 to be a sustainer engine only,
and not capable of self launch, at least that's what I think I read.

A G109 is a poor performer for soaring, the gear is set so you will not drag
tips like you would on a DG500/505. But the -109 is workable at sea level
(non high DA) areas in Hawaii.

Another possibility would be the Grob 103 TwinIIIC, or one of those models
does have self launch capability.

Another good possibility for the buck$$ is the Stemme.
Or possibly the ximango http://www.ximangousa.com/

happy hunting
BT

"Stefan" "stefan"@mus. INVALID .ch wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

I am at sea level / Kona Hawaii... I am looking for a way to do some
casual soaring with out aero tow.

If soaring is your goal, then you won't be happy with the G109. What
you're looking at is a true motorized glider, such as DG 505, DG 1000 or
the like.

Stefan