Old November 15th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Biggest Glider Ever Launched via Winch?

JS wrote:
Sarah wrote:
I don't know about winch launch, but this looks like just an exciting
launch, with a 7500 lb gross wt. glider:

Also have a look at the C-141 towing a QF-106, known as the Eclipse
project or "Dope on a Rope". Doubt I'd want to winch that one!
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/History/Pub...DF/Eclipse.pdf

Has anybody "step-towed" a sailplane? Using a pay-out winch in a
truck, tow the length of the runway. As the truck turns around and
winch operator keeps the slack under control, the glider does a wide
turn. The truck then heads back down the runway, paying out more line.
Jim

This was presented at one of the SSA conventions. The video included a
demo of the stability of the system as the F106 pilot was clearly
waving both hands to the camera.

(BTW, you really should come to a convention, you don't know what you
might be missing)

Frank Whiteley