Old November 20th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Beginner, Parachutes?

On Nov 20, 10:16*am, toad wrote:
This is also my experience, everybody who owns a glider also has a
parachute. *The clubs (that I know) don't own parachutes and most non-
owners don't either.

Todd

i started wearing a parachute when i bought the Cherokee. It just
seemed like a good idea, plus the glider is like 45 yrs old and built
out of wood, and I was going to be flying it XC. Since then there was
one day where I flew it and didnt have my parachute. I dont remember
why, it just wasnt around or something. Most nervous flight i've ever
been on. Can't explain it, Ive got over 2000 hrs in powered aircraft
without wearing a chute but I just wasnt comfortable in the glider
without it. Of course I will fly the club's Blanik and 2-22 without a
chute and never have a problem. I think part of the (psychological)
problem that I have is that the Cherokee is so quiet I can HEAR other
airplanes before I can see them. and the visibility, especially
towards the rear, is lousy. So now I always wear my parachute.

tony