Old May 30th 16, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default back up gps?

On Monday, 30 May 2016 04:23:13 UTC+2, Nicholas Long wrote:
Whats everyone's favorite backup gps (if you fly with one).

It occurred to me that my Naviter and LK are fairly unstable and it would be wise to carry a backup...

Garmin 96 or garmin 195 are cheap, not sure about their power consumption.

A smartphone seems like a much cheaper option if you already have one.

I keep an Android phone in my pocket running XCSoar which gives me all the functionality of a full blown moving map and glide computer with zero additional cost.
My Samsung Note 2 runs for 8.5 hours on a full charge with XCSoar running and maximum screen brightness (GPS on and GSM off). I've never had it crash or reboot on me.
Replace Andoid/XCSoar with iOS/iGlide (or whatever you prefer).

If the satellites are switched off a map is the third option and there is nothing wrong with doing a precautionary landing in a farmers field should one get lost.