Old May 31st 16, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default back up gps?

Le lundi 30 mai 2016 19:40:33 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
Ditto on what Bill T said. Electronics are great but they do quit. A sectional or WAC of the area is in my opinion the thing to have tucked in the cockpit. I also have foreflight on my i phone, thats helps too as long as you have cell coverage.
Dan

Electronics doesn't quit if you set it up right. If my power supply fails, the Oudie will continue on its internal battery and GPS for quite some hours. If the Oudie dies, I have a smartphone with GPS, XCSoar and an additional battery which will be working for 10 hours. The CAI302 will stop working, but the VW1000 has a seperate 6x AA apck providing audio operation for 8 hours (no need for prehistoric pneumatic varios).

And yes, I still carry paper maps. Can't remember when I used them last time.