Old December 2nd 05, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US ELT Installation

wrote in message
oups.com...

I fly with a 406 MHz PLB on my parachute harness and will probably add
a 406 MHz ELT to the glider at some point. The PLB is only useful if I
survive a parachute out or a crash and can turn it on and extend the
antenna and it can get good sight to a satellite (some require a manual
antenna extension, some extend when you pull the tab to turn the PLB
on).

Bill Daniels wrote:
[snip]

My plan is to buy a 406Mhz GPS unit that will be attached to my

parachute
harness. If an outlanding is imminent, I will turn it on. If the

landing
goes well, I will turn it back off and contact the SAR folks ASAP to say
nevermind. I would plan to contact contest managers in advance to state

my
position and, if they didn't agree, I'd just stick with the OLC.

You can't be serious right? Since when is an outlanding an emergency
justifying a PLB/ELT activation? If you are over a forrest etc. and
have no other options them by all means try whatever you want. Turning
on a PLB prior to an outlanding won't do much unless you extend the
antenna. Even if you extended the antenna and got a signal out how do
you think you are going to notify CAP or anybody else that it was an
"precautionary" activation - not something they may be happy with you
doing anyhow. Then don't even get me started about the distraction of
trying to activate this and the antenna flopping around in the cockpit
while you are trying to land.

You bet I'm serious. I don't think it would hard at all to convince the
CAP or any other SAR group that landing a motorless aircraft in a remote
area justifies a precautionary ELT activation. (BTW, I've already asked
them.) If I couldn't convince them, my a** is more important than their
regulations anyway. As for distraction, I fly WAY ahead of my glider -
nothing is done at the last minute. I'd have the antenna extended at 2000'
AGL and note the switch position so it could be activated on downwind.

Bill Daniels