Old April 5th 18, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default DG-100 vs Std Libelle - opinions wanted

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 02:35:30 -0700, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:

Op woensdag 4 april 2018 23:57:57 UTC+2 schreef Martin Gregorie:
On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 05:24:09 -0700, davidlawley wrote:

If you think of differential in terms of a ratio, yours is a bit less
than 2:1, my DG202 is 2:1.
In my days of F3B model flying, I used up to 4:1 for thermalling, and
still got adverse yaw, reqiring rudder mixed in.

You were obviously involved with another part of the model world than I
was. Flew C/L when I was a kid and then moved in to single channel RC.
I gave up RC just about the time that proportional radios appeared
because I'd got involved with competitive Free Flight, mostly F1A
gliders and 1/2A / F1J power.

--
Martin | martin at Gregorie | gregorie dot org

I have no clue where this is going to be honest

Just a slightly technical model flying discussion, mainly about the
differences in desirable control response between remotely flown models
and full-size gliders. Adverse yaw is something that is easy to deal with
in full-size if your rudder is powerful enough: by and large we just do
it without needing to concentrate on flying a coordinated turn, but when
you're flying an RC glider thats almost specked out above you, its easier
if you can thermal using just one stick instead of juggling both of them.

OTOH, my view, with my F1A freeflight hat on, is that since the model is
doing its own thing (no external control allowed or closed-loop control
systems) I must set it up to automatically centre and stay centred in the
thermal I launched it in. Fortunately, we know how to do this (CG at 55%
chord, minimal fin area, crossed controls with the rudder balanced
against wash-in on the inner wingtip in the turn, trimmer to fly at min.
sink).

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org