Old November 19th 20, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Urban Mäder

Default midair in Bay Area Nov 7

Hi

Regarding annual maintenance: We have recently published a manual for that: https://www.flarm.com/ica. We hope that this clarifies some important questions and streamlines the process. Appendices A and B contain checklists that you can run through during installation or maintenance. This is a new initiative and I'm sure the document can still be improved. Feedback is thus highly appreciated.

Regarding the reports on false/nuisance warnings: There are (of course) limits to what a FLARM can do, but unless you have a large gaggle of gliders, the alarming behavior should be very reasonable. If you think something is not working (or should be improved), please do send log files of the incident (https://flarm.com/about-us/contact/). We're happy to have a look.

Best Regards
- Urban

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 10:58:06 AM UTC+1, Paul Ruskin wrote:
It's a function of the display, rather than what type of Flarm, Martin.

If you have a display that only shows alarms, you won't see anything on the ground when you're on the ground. On the other hand, if you have a traffic display, you'll see it all.

Both Flarm and PowerFlarm send out both alarms and traffic data. Some displays just show the alarms.

Paul
On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 3:23:55 AM UTC, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:44:11 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote on 11/18/2020 5:48 PM:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 17:00:53 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I also expect to see other Flarms while preflighting the glider before
flying, and before takeoff - no Flarms seen means I likely have a
problem and should determine what it is.

Is that a difference between FLARM and PowerFlarm?

I've never used Power FLARM, but I don't recall any FLARM showing
traffic when stationary: even waiting on the second winch queue I don't
recall the glider on the other cable showing as it launched nor a tow
taking off on the far side of the field. Or, for that matter, landing
gliders triggering it when I'm in the launch queue, so in front of and
100-200m to one side of the landing glider. Then again, none of these
should trigger an alarm since a collision is not possible in any of
these cases is a collision possible. OTOH, even a taxiing tug 2-300m
away can trigger an alarm while I'm rolling up to the launch point
after landing: very disconcerting it is too when it happens!

But really: do it at the annual; do it when you are getting the glider
ready for the 1st flight of the season. It's not that hard - write
yourself notes if you can't remember.

Couldn't agree more. I always used to do that and now its a mandatory
item on the BGA-approved Annuals check-list.

I also like to run an early flight from a new season through the FLARM
trace analyser to check the range in all directions and make sure its
working correctly and the antenna didn't get displaced during the last
Annual.

I tend to use Flarm interchangeably with PowerFlarm, but as a US pilot,
PowerFlarm is what I have, and it does show the position of any
PowerFlarm equipped glider within range, even if both gliders are
stationary on the ground. It doesn't generate collision alarms it that
situation.

I should have added that I'm not surprised: to a first approximation on a
gliding club field nothing with FLARM fitted moves unless its taking off,
landing or is a tug taxiing, so there's little or no benefit in a
stationery glider flagging up moving aircraft for its pilot.

OTOH I can see that it would be useful for a Power Flarm to do so,
especially one with ADS-B in since, on a field that is also used by
powered aircraft, it would be able to flag up most? all? aircraft
movements, especially those on approach while you're waiting at the hold
point.
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org