Old May 1st 05, 02:55 PM
Peter R.

The stick is handy for confirming accurate fuel flows after
landing from cross-countries and seeing what the real burn is at
various mixture settings.

I used a dip tube extensively when I flew in a C172. This allowed me to
provide very specific refueling instructions for the lineman when weight
and balance required less than full tanks.

In the Bonanza I now fly, the wing tanks slope from the cap to the back of
the wing. Below about 26 gallons, I cannot see the fuel nor dip a stick to
determine fuel quantity. Thus, to be absolutely sure of fuel when it is
out of sight like this, I am forced to fill at a minimum to the bottom of
the tabs, or 30 gallons useable. I miss the certainty and flexibility
that the C172 tanks provided.

--
Peter