Old February 14th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default Stalls??

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message ...
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Why is it so many pilots are afraid of stalls? I see it over an over
when doing flight reviews and checks. Why are pilots so afraid of
flying in the low end of the speed envelope? Isn't that where the
nasty things can happen? Isn't that where a pilot should be
comfortable and competent?
What do you think?
Its a loaded? question and comes from a 24,000+ hour pilot and active
instructor. I'd really like to see some active discussion on this
subject. I'm tired of seeing aircraft damaged by sloppy flying, and
even more tired of seeing people injured by same.
Got any comments?
Ol S&B

The reason for the fear is probably because it was taught as the final thing that can happen at low end of the
envelope. This was not always the case because people used to be trained that after the stall came the spin and how to
recover from that. Of course everyone knows that the spin comes after the stall but it is all theory and faith. Sort
of like the afterlife.

Every flight in a light GA single should end in a full stall...right as the wheels roll on to the runway...Unless folks
know how to handle the plane in a stall, they will not learn to land correctly (I know this will start the flames!)