Old May 8th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

On 05/08/06 10:39, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:

Perhaps your scenario is self-contradictory. 91.205.d.2 appears to
require "... navigational equipment appropriate to the ground
facilities to be used ...". [...]

I'm in full compliance with FAR 91.205 in that regard, I have two fully
functional VOR receivers aboard.

But those ordinary VOR receivers will do approximately nothing for
you, when flying direct to a faraway VOR they cannot pick up yet, thus
they are not "appropriate to the ground facilities to be used".

- FChE

I think the point is that no ground facilities are being used for the
direct-to part of the flight. You're assuming that he is using the VOR
receiver to go direct-to a VOR 1000 miles away, but he's already said
that he was using the GPS.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA