Old October 16th 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default LiFePO4 battery technolocy

On 10/16/2012 8:06 AM, Evan Ludeman wrote:

Dear Unknown, Here is the battery I just ordered with the intent to
replace my 10Ah NiMH battery dedicated to the transponder. It is
ready for usage, no soldering except for the fuse and the
plug.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20645

This is a 8400mAh 4S cell with a 30C discharge rate, you can fry your
eggs on the discharge of that thing (over 200A).

I've fooled around with RC model batteries enough to know that I
will never put one of these in my full scale glider. In addition to
chemistry -- we'll presume for the moment that the HK LiFePO4
batteries are discharge & overcharge safe -- there's the issue of
short circuit protection *in* the battery pack. K2 puts all the
balance circuitry and such inside a sealed box where the connections
can be strain relieved, solidly anchored and protected in a way that
simply cannot be done in a hobby pack like this.

Electrically, I like your idea. But mechanically I think it needs
to be more robust.

THe HobbyKing pack is designed toys that don't have people in them. I'd
have more confidence in it if it had a battery management system built
into it and there was a datasheet listing the manufacturer, charging
requirements, cycle life, etc.

email me)