Old November 13th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
mike regish

Default Setting altimeters with no radio

No. Famous last words are usually "Oh ****."

mike

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Travis Marlatte writes:

The only ATC clearances for a pressure altitude would be in the flight
levels. Since the question was about setting a pressure altimeter, I
would
say that the flight levels are irrelevant. Below the flight levels, ATC
clearances are for pressure compensated altitude above MSL, so yes it is
based on pressure and not true altitude but close enough. My GPS gives me
calculated altitude above a theoretical sea level that's also close
enough.

"Close enough": famous last words.