Old January 8th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

Default CG Hook Location Computation

Jack wrote:
raulb wrote:
I forgot to add, the CG is usually (but not necessarily always) figured
to be the leading edge of the wing and all calculations are made from
the CG. It is where everything in front of the CG and everything
behind the CG balance. See the Weight and Balance calculations for the
2-33 (or any glider), which should be in the glider's flight manual.

ground when empty.

The text of the 2-33 manual mentions both a "forward" and "CG release",
but the only release I've ever seen on a 2-33 is just ahead of the skid,
and I suppose that is what Schweizer calls a "CG" release on the 2-33.
The skid would interfere with a release nearer the forward edge of the
CG range.

Anybody here know where the "forward release" on a 2-33 would be?

Jack
My handy SGS 2-33 manual shows the reference point for CG computations
to be Station "0", just slightly aft of the nose of the aircraft. The
"Datum", or leading edge of the wing at the root is at Sta. 66.34".

The CG range for all 2-33's when flown is Station 78.20" to Sta. 86.10",
or 7.9" wide, from 11.86" aft of the Datum (wing root L.E.) to 19.76"
aft of the Datum.

The empty weight CG for a representative 2-33 is around 96.0", with the
main gear axle center at 88.75", which is why 2-33's sit tail low on the

We had a 2-33 at PGC with what I understood was a factory kit. As I
recollect, it was installed on the right side of the ship, alongside of
the skid about the skid midpoint. The ship was N33966 - I don't
remember who bought it, but you can look it up and perhaps get more
information.

Chip F.