Old December 11th 20, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Default HYPOXIA

When I Started flying Hang Gliders here in Telluride and Central Colorado and the Owens Valley I made dozens and dozens of trips up into the low 20's without O2. I also look back and found my self in the landing zone not remembering much on how I got there!
Then in the early 80's a guy by the name of Terry Reynolds put together a batch of nice Hang Gliding friendly O2 systems. Large Kevlar bottles, stainless steel flex lines, regulators. I bought one at our Hang Gliding Festival. I took off and I got up over 18 and remembered I had it; I turned it on and in a few minutes I went from a black and white world to one with color!
Blue Skys, green hills.
O2 is cheap and I'm now with Eric Grennwell. I go on 02 in my glider very low and if I'm cruising at 17+ every hour I turn it up high and do some deep breathing. Also coming into land I turn it up high for a few minutes. You wanna be sharp for the landing.
Nick