Old August 27th 05, 06:25 PM
Ian St. John

John T wrote:
I think bio-diesel is overblown.

I think that the problem with this statement is the "I think".

The premise of this stuff is to use
recycled cooking oil.

First error. Biodiosel has nothing to do with used cooking oil. That is a
way to recycle oils for cooking but it is more about recycling than about
biodiesel.

Even if every resturaunt in the world recycled
its cooking oil, there simply isn't enough to meet the demand if that
method were to become poplar.

Which is why biodiesel is about growing oil plants for fuel.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html

Some, such as jojoba/jatropha are desert plants that can be grown in
moderate desert climates ( Sonoron desert gets 12-18", which is enough )
that are underutilised and get much larger yields times as much oil per acre
as crops such as corn or safflower.

"In 2003, Germany, France, Austria and Italy produced over two billion
litres of biodiesel, and in Germany and Austria, around 1700 service
stations now sell biodiesel."

"In the U.S., a blend of 20% biodiesel with 80% petro-diesel (referred to as
B20) is quite widely used, and 15 states have passed legislation favourable
to biodiesel. "

Note: A blend of up to 20% biodiesel has a disproportionate effect on
reducing diesel emissions, up to two or three times the level of input.