Old August 28th 05, 12:07 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-08-27, John T wrote:
I think bio-diesel is overblown. The premise of this stuff is to use
recycled cooking oil.

Biodiesel isn't JUST recycled cooking oil (that's only a tiny part of
it).
Biodiesel can be made from diverse things from algae (which can be grown
in a process that is more industrial than agricultural, and can make use
of industrial wasteland) to farm waste such as the offal discarded at
the abbatoir.

The point is fuels like biodiesel are carbon neutral and can help tide
us over whilst better alternatives are sought by reducing the amount of
oil required. It also runs *today* with the infrustructure we have right
now and the cars, truck, trains and buses we have right now.

At the moment, hydrogen solves nothing and creates many problems - the
only economical way of making it is with fossil fuels. Then there's no
good solution to actually storing it in a way the general public can
make use of it. That's not to say it won't ever be viable (it probably will)
but we're decades away from it. Biodiesel is practical today.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net