Old November 18th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Default Cirrus/Std Cirrus

Mm first glider was an Open Cirrus. Great aircraft, with certain limitations. It will stay up when nothing else will. Speeds above 65 Knots result in the altimeter spinning down faster than you want it to. Don't spin it to the right, cause it really does not want to exit the spin right away. If you don't have a gym membership, you are going to need one to rig it. The wing root is pretty heavy at the end of the day. You are going to have to make a lot of good friends at your local glider club that will help you when you want to rig it. The trailer is pretty important. I suggest that you pull the trailer to a nice flat spot and you and a friend rig it under the direction of the current owner as part of your pre-purchase decision. It's a lot of glider for the money if you are OK with its limatations. If it still has a drogue chute in the tail, practice with it before you need it for real. Don't pull it the first time until you are over the numbers, and be prepared to put the nose down right away. That said, if you have a short field, the chute is a magic bullet to have in your pocket. I used mine once, I really needed it at that time, and as a result that Open Cirrus is still flying.

SF