Old February 21st 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Default Regulations covering Oxygen use

-
wrote in message
The 2 relevant sections of the FARs are 91.211 and 23.1447.
Section 91 is contained in the 2008 FAR/AIM book whereas
you will have to Google section 23.

However I
caution any of you who may be tempted to explore the wave
above 18,000 feet to attend a FAA decompression chamber
session to determine your response to high altitudes. I have
now done it twice and it is a real eye opener to see how some
people react to being decompressed to 25,000 feet.
Scary!

Hypoxia really exists.
Dave

I'll second that and raise the ante. In the chamber you will find that you
are the last to realize that you are impaired. Unlike a couple of
Margaritas, you don't feel a thing, and don't have a clue.

A finger pulse oximeter is a great aid. Your ability to absorb the oxygen
can change, and the system calibration is pretty coarse. At 15,000 ft this
is not so critical, but if you intend to push the limit, you could go over
before you expect it. The meter is the best check on the function of the
whole system.

Hartley Falbaum
"KF" USA