Old July 26th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Raphael Warshaw

Default Trailer tire pressure remote monitoring systems

On Jul 24, 4:05*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Raphael Warshaw wrote:
On Jul 24, 10:47 am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
After a trailer tire blowout last year, I installed a remote monitoring
system that displays the trailer tire pressure on command, and alerts me
automatically if the pressure drops. I don't know how effective this
will be in avoiding tire problems, because it's possible tread
separation can occur even if the pressure is OK, but at least I won't be
driving on under-inflated tires.

There are several systems that one can choose from. I'm using
PressurePro, which is about $150 for the monitor and $50/tire for the
sensors. I also put them on my tow vehicle, so it was $650 for the two
trailer wheels and the six RV wheels. It was easy to install and seems

Hi Eric,

I tried a similar system on my semi and it didn't work reliably, most
likely due to the 70 foot length of the unit. *

snip

My drivers had frequent tread separations and blowouts (about two a
month) in the 10 years before the Cat's Eyes" were installed but only
two blowouts in the 10 year period I owned the truck afterwards,

It sounds like you've taken care of your problem.

PS: My current "tire pressure monitor system (tpms)" is an 18 inch
truck tire gauge, about $ 20 at most truck stops, which, when coupled
to an eyeball and used often, seems to do the job. *At my present age,
I need to stop frequently anyway.

I went to the remote monitoring after several flats on the motorhome,
despite obsesssive pressure checking of the tires.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* * * New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org- Hide quoted text -

The Cat's Eyes we used made it simple for my drivers to look at tire
pressure. They were no help when the vehicle was moving. Several of
them told me they could estimate pressure to a few pounds by thumping
the tires with a "tire thumper", a device that looked like a Billy
Club. When I challenged them, they couldn't come w/in 20 psi.

I wonder if the problem you're having is due to heat buildup. If the
tire pressure is ok when you start, still ok when you arrive where
you're going and stilll ok the following morning, you've pretty much
ruled out loss of air. Does your motorhome allow decent airflow
around the tires? Most of the ones I've looked at cover more than
half the tire with the bodywork, particularly the rear duals.

Ray Warshaw