Old July 26th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James D'Andrea

Default Trailer tire pressure remote monitoring systems

Be sure to follow your tire manufacturer's
recommendation. *50 psi for my Goodywar Marathon Radials. *Run them on
my boats and the glider trailer. *Also, be very aware and critical of
the sounds and feel of the trailer. *Unusual vibrations, noises and
handling almost always foretells tire failuer.- Hide quoted text -

My understanding is that the correct tire pressure is recommended by
the vehicle manufacturer and not the tire manufacturer. On a car, the
correct tire pressure can be found in the operating manual or on the
vehicle identification placard located in the driver's side door
frame. The tire pressure on the tire sidewall is the pressure to
carry the max load that the tire can handle. Following this
reasoning, the correct tire pressure on the trailer should be the one
the trailer manufacturer recommends even if the tire has a higher
pressure listed on the sidewall. I checked this out with my tire
store and they confirmed this. I have new ST rated tires that can
handle 50PSI, but the store recommended 35 PSI. The trailer is
noticeably more stable than the old P-rated tires that were on the
trailer when I bought it.