Old September 10th 03, 05:41 PM

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:30:00 -0400, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

:
:"Rick Pellicciotti" wrote in message news:3f5f36df$1@ham...
:
: I'm reminded of the marketing goof by Mitsubishi when they first brought out
: the MU-2:
:
: "Brought to you by the same people that brought you the Zero!"
:
: OUCH
:
:My ex-marketing guy's favorite line used to be "If you can't stand the heat,
:stay out of Nagasaki." I tried to keep him away from our Japanese customers.

When Mitsubishi was getting ready to launch a sports car in the US a
few years ago they hired a NY advertizing firm and tried to run the
campaign from Japan. They sent pictures and video footage and their
Japanese advertizing, but all the text was in Japanese (no surprise).

The NY firm called their Japanese contact and asked what the car was
named. They were told "Starrion." So they built a campaign around
the name "Starrion" and printed literature and started buying ad
space.

It wasn't until ads had been running in the US for a month that
someone found out the car was supposed to be named "Stallion."

===
My name is Nobody