Old October 23rd 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Carriere

Default Aircraft antennas

ccwillwerth wrote:
Hi, I am about ready to cover my Cub type airframe, but need a place to
attach a com antenna. I was considering brazing a plate to the airframe so
that it would be just under the fabric. The antenna is the type that has a
ceramic insulator on the bottom of the antenna that insulates the stainless
steel antenna from the airframe. Does the antenna need a large plate for a
ground plane or will a small plate be sufficient? If a ground plane is
required, can the copper foil tape be used on the inside of the fabric as
the ground plane?

Please excuse my "piggybacking" your question, can anyone with an
informed opinion weigh-in on this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...nnasystems.php

You put it inside a tube and fabric structure. Seems like a good idea
at first glance...