Old October 24th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
XCOM

Default Aircraft antennas

ccwillwerth wrote:
Hi, I am about ready to cover my Cub type airframe, but need a place to
attach a com antenna. I was considering brazing a plate to the airframe so
that it would be just under the fabric. The antenna is the type that has a
ceramic insulator on the bottom of the antenna that insulates the stainless
steel antenna from the airframe. Does the antenna need a large plate for a
ground plane or will a small plate be sufficient? If a ground plane is
required, can the copper foil tape be used on the inside of the fabric as
the ground plane?

Charlie

Our experience is that anything inside a structure especially metal is
NOT going to work. As one other said... put the aerial on the outside
where it's meant to go.

Also we have just added a table on VSWR effects and power drop off with
a bad aerial, check http://www.mcp.com.au/xcom760/faq/faq.html for
details... right down the bottom of the page (All the way down)

Interesting if you have a bad aerial Regards Michael from XCOM