Old October 23rd 03, 05:02 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Michael Williamson writes:
Alan Minyard wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:13:32 GMT, Douglas Berry wrote:

I suppose he could have seen some transient P-61s ?

Al Minyard

Based on a mention of F-82s in service at the time, I'd guess that
a flight of F-82s (night/all weather types, with the central radar
pod) might have been mistaken for P-38s. Two booms, with a central
pod might be mistaken for a P-38 in the right circumstances, given
the similar planforms.

The F-61s were pretty much gone by 1949-1950 - I think the last
operational ones ended up being scrapped in place in the Philippines
at that time. The F-82s didn't last much beyond 1953 - the last ones
were F-82Hs modified for Arctic conditions and plown in Alaska.
The F-82s wore out pretty fast - the V1710s that they used had pretty
much reached the peak of piston engine development, and were rather
highly stressed and tempremental critters. Due to teh postwar
cutbacks, there weren't many of them built. With the advent of the
Tu-4 and higher performing Soviet bombers, the Twin Mustangs were
dropped as soon as F-94s and F-89s became available. The Air National
Guard and Air Force Reserves never got any,

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster