Old August 23rd 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default XM question for Garmin 396/496 owers

Yes, yes, and yes. Everything -- airspace, navigation, and radar
returns --
can be shown on the same map. (You can add satellite, too.)
Sadly, the 496's screen is so little that it's difficult to see any of
this
great stuff.

That's because you have your 496 mounted in the dock in your panel.
I use a RAM suction cup mount to place the 496 within 12-inches of my
face. I don't like the yoke mount that comes with the 496.

Even before I had it panel docked (which, BTW, makes it more -- not less --
readable, by putting it at nearly eye-level) that dinky screen drove me
nuts. I like your suction mount solution better than a yoke mount (which
I -- like most people -- used), though. When it was yoke mounted I couldn't
scrunch down far enough to "make the screen bigger by getting closer" --
especially with old(er) eyes. Now, if needed, the co-pilot can stick their
face right up to that miniscule screen.

I've said it before here, but it bears repeating: The 496 is a compromise.
It's a so-so GPS and an excellent entertainment center that provides XM
weather in the cockpit. It's only the latter feature that makes it
worthwhile to own.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA