Old October 18th 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default PowerFLARM leeching comments

On 10/17/2012 6:35 PM, Craig R. wrote:
Time to state the obvious. After reading the comments in many of the
recent PowerFLARM threads, many folks want to use PowerFLARM for
“leeching”. Many are asking for programs to expand and simplify the
use of that data. While that information is a byproduct of the
important aspect of PF collision avoidance data, I think it has
hidden issues.With the PF data, some of that inaccuracy
goes away. Certainly, you won’t use this information on every thermal
throughout the day, but 3 or 4 spotted thermals can be the
difference between an average day and a very good day.

Will this data go away or will people stop using it in this format?
Of course not. However, I would like to see people consciously use
the PF data for collision avoidance and ignore the leeching aspects.
Pilots that continue to learn and improve are better and safer. That
is good for everyone. I know that “ain’t going to happen” so stealth
mode FTW ;-)

Of course, you can fly without the "leeching" and learn to fly farther
and faster than the other pilots that have decided they'll use
PowerFlarm for "the difference between an average day and a very good day."

Or maybe they get that "very good day" AND learn to fly faster and
farther...

Your comments remind me so much of the mindset that was prevalent when I
got my motorglider almost 18 years ago: "it will take the excitement out
of it if you aren't going to land out", "you'll use as it a crutch and
never learn anything", and "it's cheating to have motor". That mindset
is mostly gone, as people now realize a motor is an asset to learning
soaring and to doing more soaring, because it gives you the ability to
explore without risking an early end to the flight.

PowerFlarm leeching/buddy-flying ability will give them a little bit of
what a motor does - not much more than without PowerFlarm, but enough to
allow pilots to extend their soaring, flying a bit farther and a bit
longer. And that's a good thing.

email me)