Old November 27th 03, 06:10 PM
Larry Smith

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 07:09:10 -0800, A Lieberman
wrote:

Sounds like you had a run of bad luck with the water.

How in the world did water get in your pitot line? Was your drain hole
blocked? High winds blowing straight down the pitot tube?

I live in the Seattle area. 'Nuff said. :-)

Seriously, it had to be a combination of rain with strong winds, since I
had one of those little "blowback" hinged pitot tube covers on my plane.
My tiedown spot faced south, and that's the direction the storm winds come
from around here.

Still, it's a tiny little hole...hard to believe that water could find and
enter it. It happened a couple of times in my ownership of the plane.
There was a junction for the pilot line just inboard of the tube, behind

an
inspection panel in the bottom of the wing. I'd open the panel,

disconnect
the line, blow on the end of the tube, and be rewarded with a "splut!"
sound as water shot from the open end of the line.

Ron Wanttaja

Interesting, Ron. I had a bug jammed in mine once. He crawled in and hid
and then got stuck. I pushed him out with safety wire.

BTW, congratulations on the award for your Stits-finished airplane. I do
have a lot of respect and faith in the Stits system and in its durability.

On the issue of sheepskins saving a life, a cellphone saved the life of an
injured Mooney pilot who would probably have frozen to death had he not been
able to call and tell his long and lat -- he also had a GPS -- after a cold
winter's crash in the dense-forested WNC mountains of Graham County.