Old January 6th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Rodent Deterrent?

Learned about this from a handful of Minden pilots...
Buy a "Mole Chaser", which runs on 4 C- or D-cell batteries. Put it
in the cockpit and turn it on. It emits a noise every 20 or 30
seconds, which for some reason isn't liked by rodents.
These things are likely more expensive at your local nursery but on
Amazon for about $15.00 US.
I have gone so far as building the circuit board of a mole chaser
into a project box, incorporating a 5V regulator and an "Anderson
Powerpole" connector. Everything 12V of mine uses or has adapters to
Powerpoles, so any available battery, charger, solar panel or
combination can be hooked to it.
Have also used moth balls, but the smell isn't pleasant to people
either. Have needed to un-stick a mouse trap from my shoe. Haven't
tried cat or weasel deposits!
Yes. Of course I've flown with a mole chaser still running. Only
noticeable when flying slowly, which we know the fix for.
Jim