Old January 6th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Rodent Deterrent?

On Jan 6, 1:16*pm, Bob Whelan wrote:
rlovinggood wrote:
All,

Thanks for your inputs... *While my old trailer had several faults, I can't
blame it for attracting rodents. *Heck, it probably repelled them with
its sheer ugliness. *Since it wasn't very weather tight, with large
gaps between the rear (and only) door and the trailer frame, and could
have allowed LARGE critters in,
I'm kind of surprised this never
happened when I had that trailer...

Ray,

It almost certainly never happened because you never left food in the
trailer/cockpit, and, the trailer to overwinter unattended.

As others have already noted, food - absence of, really - is the key.
Mice aren't very bright, are nearsighted, and forage primarily for food.
* * Basically, they have Zero Incentive to go anywhere they don't have
reason to suspect food calls. *Why would they waste energy exploring an
aerial desert (i.e. a glider trailer) - unless it's not really a desert?

If it's good for your soul to try and block all entrances, have at it,
but if you do only one thing to your glider/trailer...eliminate stored
food (including crumbs)!!!

Regards,
Bob - Mom's paid mousecatcher - W.

The problem is that mice will bring food along and store it in your
glider if you haven't already provided them with some. They have a
lot of spare time and can pile up some impressive stashes. They also
like protected spaces to build nests for raising families. Any
material that they can shred becomes nest. Build them OUT is the only
sure way.

I forgot to mention in my first post that live traps are pretty good
too; better than poison.

MM