Old June 3rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Sky High Av gas **** you off?

Nomen Nescio wrote:

That's .0000066% of US oil usage; that's going to make a big dent.

Now, multiply that by (roughly) 65% of the homes in Mass.

OK, that shaves off a zero or two.

The truck that delivered the carrots to your grocery store uses more
than that every day.

Then that truck REALLY needs a tune-up.

Have you any idea what the milage of an eighteen wheeler is?

Only a small segment of the US uses "oil" for heating these days.

But those that do, live where it's kinda cold.
Miami, FL has 173 degree-days.
Pittsfield, MA (the town closest to me that I have quickly available data for)
has 7694 degree-days.

I'd bet you'll find a LOT more oil burners in Pittsfield.

Yeah, there is still a lot of it in the North East.

I'm not arguing that, I'm argueing that when you look at the US as whole,
oil burners are in the minority.

According to DOE, about 7.5% of US homes use heating oil.

In the US, the percentage of oil used for stationary uses, which includes
residential, commercial, industrial, and electricity generation, is
less than 20% of the total and falling every year.

See this graph:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p..._cons_prod.htm

--
Jim Pennino