Old January 5th 04, 01:13 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

There is an article in the archives of Gliding & Motorgliding International
on Aerotow "Upset" Accidents by Chris Rollings which may be found at:
http://www.glidingmagazine.com/ListF...Dtl.asp?id=327 .
All tug pilots, and glider pilots who launch by aerotow, should read this
article.

For the U.K. the B.G.A. give advice to be found in "Laws and Rules for
Glider Pilots" 14th edition June 2003 (cannot be read on-line):

Under "Recommended Practices":

RP12. The minimum length of aerowtow rope recommended is 150ft. However,
under special circumstances a short rope may be used. The operators'
attention is drawn to the following factors which may cumulatively
contribute to a hazardous situation:

(a) Low experience of glider and/or tug pilot
(b) Gliders fitted with C of G hook only
(c) Glider's C of G towards the aft limit
(d) Turbulent air in the take-off area
(e) Rough ground in the take-off area
(f) Significant cross-wind component.

RP13. After releasing the cable, the glider should turn away so that the
tug aircraft pilot can see clearly that the glider is free.

Under "Operational Regulations":

4.16 The sum of tows made by the tug pilot and the glider pilot, in their
respective capacities, shall not be less than six.

My own opinion is that if a forward aerotow hook is fitted it should always
be used for aerotowing. If the glider does not have an aerotow hook, but
can be fitted with one as a modification then this should be done if it is
to be launched by aerotow.

It is quite normal for tug pilots to refuse to launch a glider if the rope
is on the aft hook when an aerotow hook is available.

I cannot think of any circumstance when the use of the forward hook rather
than the aft one for aerotow launching could cause a problem.

The longer the rope the easier the flying is for the glider pilot (except
perhaps in violent rotor?). The 150 ft rope is a compromise between safety
and operational convenience which has been found to be satisfactory in
practice in the U.K.

The above BGA recommendations and my opinions are based on the assumption
that the glider pilot has been properly trained and checked for currency
etc. The requirements etc. are to be found in the BGA Instructors' Manual
(which is not available to be read on-line).

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
hlink.net...

snip

There's a BGA write-up on CG hooks and pitch-up incidents that should be
required reading for anyone contemplating airtow with a CG hook. Maybe
one of our British friends can provide a link to it.

Bill Daniels