Old July 24th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Accident commentary

Jim wrote:

The point I get from such incidents as this is that there are pilots
who cannot safely fly s-turns in such conditions. Whether it's an
acceptable circumstance or not is not cogent.

I always wonder if these same folks are the ones who would crash on hot
days, because they are taught to fly totally by PICTURE vs. instrument
scan, and don't understand accelerated stalls.

I lost an instrument rated friend who departure stalled with 5 family
members on a H&H day, based on "picture flying" vs. airspeed. It was a
Cherokee 6 in Pullayup, WA in 2002. His co-owner watched the crash.

Personally, I was taught bank angle vs. stall speed, Vx & Vy vs. sight
picture on varying condition days, etc... Before I soloed...