Old February 17th 12, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Feb 17, 10:07*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
Fair enough.

At the end of the day this is all about having fun and being safe. *If I am massively naive in the level by which people will push the rules in this matter, I apologize.

It is unfortunate that we cannot simply have all of these tools in the gliders and trust that our fellow pilots would fly legally, fairly and within the rules. *But I do understand that this may not be the case and that their may not be a perfect solution here.

I enjoyed the discussion for the most part and look forward to seeing where this all goes. *For the record, I was going to exchange my V7 for a butterfly, but have decided to keep the V7 which has no AH.

I think its better to let this play out before investing $3500 in a modern Vario. *It would be too easy to be accused of foiling any safeguards in the Butterfly firmware. *Im not sure that butterfly will be successful in removing all of the risk of cheating with their effort.

What of the LX Zues? *What of all the others that come along, etc. *Probably better to see where this rule goes. *Probably better for the soaring instrument manufactures to rethink their product marketing, etc.

Sean
F2

I have asked the Rules committee for 2 waviers for the 2012 SSA
soaring season. One is for cell phones and the other concerns PDA
software. I have been informed that the waviers will not be needed as
clarification will be shortly announced.
Simply standby and allow the thought process to continue as it has
been shown by the past that the results usually turn out good and
sometimes better than expected.

Thomas Kelley #711.