Old March 19th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default Flarm collision alert from Tow Plane ADS-B

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 11:26:16 AM UTC-5, Dirk_PW wrote:
I'm having a similar problem with just a mode-c transponder in the towplane. I'm not getting a 'collision' warning per se, but the S80 does indicate a xpndr equipped aircraft is in close proximity. The issue with this is that the display is simply locked out from all other functions during the entire tow. That is, there is no way to get your vario display back until after the tow and the aircraft exceeds the threat threshold. This 'problem' also occurs when flying close to xpdr equipped gliders. I had caught up to a friend that had a mode-c xpdr and we flew together for over an hour. During the whole time, the S80 displayed the xpdr traffic page and I couldn't navigate past it to see any other pages. I had to ask my friend to turn off his transponder while we were flying together. It would be nice if the instrument had an "acknowledge" feature where I could suppress the alert for some configurable period of time so I can get access to the rest of the vario features (similar to the way modern computers handle airspace warnings). I want to tell the computer... "I see the traffic, now go away for 5 minutes", but I don't want to turn it off permanently, however for obvious reasons.

Has anyone else experienced this and have a solution?

The FARs require that all transponder equipped aircraft have their transponders turned on whenever they are airborne.