Old April 8th 11, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

Default Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

Thanks for the WxRadar pointer I just installed it on my iPhone. Nice,
but a small niggle is it does not seem to do composite high resolution
radar between two adjacent radar sites. Its composite maps only seem
low-resolution or am I missing something?

There is a national high res map 3400x1600 on the pull down menu. You
can scroll and zoom that map.
I've been using the radar app shortly before push to look at the
departure area mostly for night departures at Maui.
Just need a general idea of how turbulent the climb out will be.
It loads more quickly than the prettier weather channel app.
We have a regional radar viewer on the company computer in the
planning room but not yet on the plane.

Was the German iOS soaring software the iGlide software from Butterfly
Avionics?

Yes, was thinking of using an iphone with it if it becomes available.
Glidepath would be for use in a club glider as I too need an engine
noise recorder.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Winpilot is coming up with.

I use DTC Duat before flying the cub or glider to satisfy the cross
country planning requirements.

Will be giving the flight guide IEFB app a try.

Purchased Zoomit but haven’t tried it yet.

Maybe I'm just not hip enough, for navigation I still look out the
window and occasionally use the 303 display on the 302.
The Winpilot on the PDA is mostly for the wind arrow and OLC meter as
I like to try to fly at least 500km.

Mostly what I like about Apple products is that you turn it on and it
works with minimal fuss.

Jim