Old February 12th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default Round Engines

On Feb 12, 1:30 am, john smith wrote:

Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a switch from "OFF"
to "START" and then remember to move it back to "ON" after a while. My
PC is harder to start.

Shhhh... Don't let that get out, or we'll have more idiot non-pilots
stealing King Airs & Caravans instead of Skyhawks...

Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly exciting.

I dunno... I love the sound of a TPE331 winding up - I actually have
that as a wav file on my work computer that plays when I sign on in
the morning - gets everyone's attention. Does your ceiling fan have Ng
and ITT gauges? G

Turbines don't break or catch fire often enough, which leads to aircrew
boredom, complacency and inattention.

And this is a bad thing? (I realize this is tongue-in-cheek)
Inattention during the start cycle can mean a hot start and do all
kinds of damage to the compressor section

A round engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow any minute. This helps concentrate the mind!

Yep, just ask any old FE that sat third seat on a Connie. Managing
four cantankerous Wright 3350's was a full time job. (even without
PRTs engaged)