Old April 27th 13, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_31_]

Default (USA) FlarmNet usage

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:00:17 PM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
Thanks, Paul, that answers questions about three of the license items.

Can you shed light on the other extra cost options listed in the V2.79 release notes? Specifically, in the US, are the Audio (AUD), the Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB, and the Garmin TIS output (TIS)extra cost options?

Thanks in advance.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:31:08 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi John,

The U.S. price for PowerFLARM Core and Portable includes IGC Approval as

standard. That has been the plan from the start. In Europe it is an

option.

Engine Noise Level functionality has always been promoted as an extra cost

option in the USA.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

__________________________

"John Carlyle" wrote in message

Thanks for the "heads-up", Evan.

The release notes are very interesting. FLARM is now going to charge a fee

for (among other things):

* Engine Noise Level recording (ENL)

* IGC approval (IGC)

* Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB)

If this scheme is applicable to the US, too, then I'll be using my

Volkslogger along with PowerFLARM. At least I'll get an IGC approved flight

trace good for up to world records (OK, stop laughing) with engine noise

monitoring - for free.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:49:25 AM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:

It works and it's here (in beta) now.

http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php...ge-and-support

I don't use or care much about flarmnet, but I do recommend the 2.79 beta

because it appears to have better pcas sensitivity and reliability and it

allows one to easily update the display to 3.1, which improves readability

significantly.

Sure wish they'd chuck those silly, useless pcas circles on the butterfly

displays in favor of digital range information (like Zaon). I've

suggested this, without reply. If you agree, or have a better idea, I'd

encourage you to make your opinion known.

Evan Ludeman / T8

John/Q3, I sent an email to (that's the email on the update page) asking the same question. The release notes clearly say only units that sold WITH the second antenna are grandfathered. When I unpacked my PF core I was surprised it only had one antenna (especially when all the range issues were being aired on RAS). I immediately purchased my second antenna from Paul last year and yet to install it.
Jim/PC