Old November 28th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Get a ferry permit, or just fly it?

wrote:
These days most insurance companies, engine manufacturers and
even some governments want the engine torn down after a propstrike due
to the high incidence of engine failure following such an event.

That's certainly *not* been my experience with insurance companies.
They want the plane flown out to a secure location where it won't be
looted.

During a propstrike, some Lycomings are known to spit loose the
camshaft drive gear retaining bolt in the back of the crank, eventually
letting the gear get away. An engine doesn't run too well without the
cam turning.

Again, contrary to my experience. In the Mooney community the factory
service centers frequently fly out to airports with a prop and a pair
of jacks after a gear up landing. Jack the plane up, swap the prop, and
fly it back to the shop. I've never heard of any shop having any
problems getting a Lycoming Mooney back to the shop

-Robert