Old December 24th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Default Hartzell prop hub AD 2006-18-15...results and our options

Ron Natalie wrote:
Jack Allison wrote:
Paul kgyy wrote:
Jack, I had a similar situation a while back with my Arrow - blades
turned up out of spec when removed for service.

At which point, you're committed to a) finding serviceable blades or
b) buying a new prop.

Especially if you send them to Hartzell. Hartzell finds a larger
percentage of blades unservicable (and will DEFACE them in the process
to make sure they are not returned to service) than most shops.

Interesting Ron. In researching this AD, talking to the prop shop and
folks via various owner groups, it seems as though Hartzell sure is
****ing a bunch of people off. Our prop shop has a few customers for
which this AD was the last straw...they said the heck with it, order me
a McCauley prop. If I had a spare 7 AMUs in the airplane fund, I'd
likely do the same.

Heck, if my only data point was the interaction with folks at both
Hartzell and McCauley at the AOPA expo, I'd go with McCauley. The gal
at the McCauley booth spent time answering my questions and looking up
info. that wasn't readily available in the single sheet specs they have
out. The dude in the Hartzell booth pretty much handed me a business
card saying call their customer service number.
Bah...Hartzell,bad...McCauley, good. :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado