Old August 3rd 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DaveB

Default barrel roll in 172

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:11:14 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

People were beginning to talk about all the different
maneuver that can be done in an airplane [in this case the
172, but this applies to all airplanes]. The OP asked about
"normal category" but even allowing for utility category,
the 172 is approved for very limited aerobatics. The
specific allowed maneuvers are listed.

Certainly, any airplane can perform any aerobatic maneuver,
since all the controls are present for all axis.

But just as any camera can take portraits or porn, any
airplane will only do what the pilot can do. If your name
is Bob Hoover et al, you don't need to ask the question and
you probably can do these maneuvers. But Joe Sixpack is
going to do several things...(a) bend the airplane (b) break
the airplane (c) wish he had a quick jettison door (d) wish
he had a parachute and (e) die.

Simple rule, The Law of Gravity has no exceptions or
appeals.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
.121...
| Jim Macklin wrote
|
| (5) Model 172L (1972 model)
| "This airplane must be operated in compliance with the
| operating limitations as stated in the form of placards,
| markings, and manuals:
|
| Yeah Jim, and we all MUST comply with all highway speed
limits,
| even when they were 55 mph. Hell...my speedometer even
had a
| big red mark at 55 mph.
|
| A lot of those placards, markings, and manual limits are
just
| because the manufacturer did not want to spend the time
and
| money in order to seek certification for a particular
item.

| Such is the case of the "no slips with flaps" contained in
the
| manual for a lot of the C-172s.
|
| Bob Moore

I will be flying a 172 in the morning, I will roll it and report the
results.

Best
Daveb